Monday, August 16, 2010

C H I N A ... Take two


Thank you to all who have emailed me so far! it is really nice to come home and see that I have things to read. I am a week and a half in and the realization that I got rid of all of my stuff, sold my car, quit my job, left my family and friends, and boyfriend behind is starting to hit me.

Life can be tough, i am picking up some basic chinese phrases but, it is still hard to get around, buy things, find things, and figure out the buses.

School is a bit overwhelming and I am teaching a million subjects in music, and maybe ESL......yes I told them my masters paper was revised like 9 times. they are reconsidering the ESL hopefully letting me teach some kind of band instead.

red date yogurt…. Is really good but weird..but delicious!

a lot of Chinese food smells and often makes me want to vomit.. almost EVERYTHING has meat in it..... I went out to eat with my friends last week and they ordered some strange meat dish.... well it was simmering when they brought it to the table and they put it right in front of me and opened it while it was sizzling and steaming.... I instantly received a meat facial....man.... i almost yacked on the table.... we are still laughing about it.

Chinese massages are cheap and feel amazing… plus they bring you tea and fruit, yeay massage! I got a 90 min massage for like 16 american dollars... thats pretty sweet.

There is pizza hut... Its not very good but HEY!!!! ITS PIZZAAAAAAA!!!!

Did I mention it is really hot and it feels like you are always swimming in your own sweat… really really hot... I think I was like 6 pounds over this summer in chicago... happy to report within one week that is GONE......

There are beetles the size of my hand…yuck, I have seen two so far. ...really the size of my hand.....
I climb four flights of stairs for my apartment and 3 double flights for my classroom. And sweat….a lot… did I mention it is hot…

Friday Night school took us out to a beautiful dinner on the lake which is what the picture above is from, there were some interesting dishes..... but I must say they knew how to do them quite artfully!

I was walking home from the grocery store today and a little girl dropped trough and peed right on the side walk at like 11 in the am. I was like 10 feet away.... hummmmm......

I have been looking to buy some lotion......but it is all whitening....a little afraid to put that on, I am pretty sure I'm already white..........

Otherwise, still healthy and hanging in there. The food thing has been hard. Today I bought as many vegetables as i could carry (figuring my vaccinations have set in) and more I found some pasta sauce and made a Veg Feast!!! yeay for that. I also bought a lamp which was totally exciting..... its weird how priorities change!

I do have some good buddies in my building who are making the transition a lot easier... but man... who knew moving to the other side of the world would be a little tough. so again, all emails are welcome even if they are stupid because that keeps me laughing... Ps I promise not all emails will be to everyone I will do individual as well! Just had a lot this week.

hearts to you all!
nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment